Winter is coming………..
Well it’s another 30 degree plus day here in Pozieres QLD, but don’t let that fool you. It is Autumn now so time to finish getting the wood in for winter, pulling out the winter blankets and giving them an airing on the washing line and checking on what I have left of those winter necessities like moisturizing lip balms and body butters.
I make my own body butter and I need something that is going to cope with the wind we get up here and protect my skin in the cold winter ahead. My choice is Cocoa Butter Body Butter and here is my recipe.
- 3 x 200 ml Aluminium Jars
- or other container of your choice
- Medium Sized Pot
- Standing or Hand Held Mixer
- Place the butter, oil and glycerine into a medium sized pot on medium heat and stir until they melt and are evenly combined, keeping the oils below 50°C.
- Transfer mixture to a glass or metal mixing bowl and place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes, or until the mixture begins to solidify to a gel consistency and becomes opaque and cloudy in appearance.
- Remove oils from the freezer and beat with a hand held or standing mixer for 20-30 minutes or until the mixture becomes light and fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl with a flexible spatula periodically to ensure the mixture is evenly whipped.
- Mix in the Vitamin E, a natural preservative, and blend for another 30 seconds to combine evenly with mixture. This is also where you can add colour or scent if you wanted to.
- Scoop out finished body butter and distribute evenly into the aluminium jars or other containers of your choice. Store below 32°C away from direct light. Use within 12 months.
HINT: At Step 4, add your favourite pure essential oil such as Australian Sweet Orange Essential Oil or Lavender Essential Oil to give your body butter your own personal touch. You can even add a ‘pinch’ or two of colour such as a mica or clay.
ATTENTION: Children should always be supervised in the kitchen, especially when heating oils. Supervision is recommended. TIP: To save money, you can purchase all the ingredients and containers together in the Cocoa Body Butter Kitwhich I designed for Green Living Australia.