HAVE YOUR HOUSE SMELLING LIKE A CANDY CANE.
In the cooler months of winter, my house is usually closed to keep out the cold. I often use scented burners with peppermint essential oil to keep it fresh, making my whole house smell like a candy cane. I make them myself, saving the expense of purchasing them and having fun. Here is my recipe.
- 1 x ‘Bathtub’ Mould
- 15g Beeswax
- 15g Coconut Oil (or Sustainable Palm Oil)
- 20 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
(This mixture makes one, so multiply by the moulds you have. Remember you can change the essential oil to your preference; make sure you add enough to make the room aromatic.)
- Using the double boiler method, bring water to a boil in a large pot.
- Place the smaller pot with the beeswax and coconut oil inside the bigger pot and melt, stirring all the time. I use a bamboo skewer to mix, which helps with the cleanup afterwards.
- Working quickly, add in the essential oils and stir in.
- Pour into your moulds, leaving 1cm room at the top. Remember, this is very hot, so pour carefully!
- Leave to set for 24hrs.
- To use, place the pod in your oil burner and smell the intoxicating fumes of peppermint for hours on end.
Cleaning beeswax out of a container seems like an impossible task but I promise you it’s not! Once you have scraped your mixture into your moulds, pour the leftover boiling water into your beeswax pot. Bring to a boil and tip the waxy water outside so the wax doesn’t clog up your kitchen drain. Wipe the pot with a serviette or paper towel and finish by giving it an extra wash with soapy water. Tada!
As always, live well.