Pavlova is a staple in my house for Christmas, along with the traditional fruit cake, and every year I try to make it a bit more adventurous than the last. This delicious lemon curd has become a must-have on my Pavlova. I hope you enjoy it!
- Two large eggs, beaten
- 200-225g xylitol
- Finely grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 115g butter
- Sterilise your jars and lids by boiling them in hot water for 10 minutes in a large pot.
- Once jars have been removed, reduce the heat so the water is hot but not boiling. Add a smaller pot inside the large pot.
- Add xylitol, butter, lemon juice, and zest to the smaller pot and whisk together until the butter and xylitol have melted.
- Slowly add the beaten egg to the mixture and whisk continuously until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Be careful not to overcook the curd, as it will be too thick when it cools down. You also must be careful not to add the egg in too quickly; otherwise, you will end up with scrambled eggs.
- Add the lemon curd to your sterilised containers leaving one ½cm room at the top.
- The lemon curd cannot be processed in the boiling bath method, so it must be stored in the fridge until eaten.